Sintayehu Mekuria Hailegiorgis (PhD)
Director of Graduate Programs
Addis Ababa Science and Technology University
Ass. Prof., Department of Chemical Engineering
College of Biological and Chemical Engineering
P.O.Box: 16417, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Welcome to Addis Ababa Science and Technology University!
Addis Ababa Science and Technology University (AASTU) is moving to become a research oriented university to support Ethiopia’s industrial ambition by producing technology, engineering and applied sciences graduates that can support the industry sector. Research is thus reflected as a key component of the University’s mission, goals and strategies; and, to give effect to this, it follows that AASTU began offering research intensive Master’s and PhD programs in 2017. Currently, AASTU offers 35 Master’s and 36 PhD programs, which are in line with the national development objectives and that offers candidates an opportunity to become specialists and leaders in their respective specialization.
The Office of Graduate Programs is here to provide you with all information to help you succeed in graduate studies. The office is established in September 2016 and it is responsible for graduate programs policy and administration from a student’s admission through graduation.
- Ensures effective implementation of the policies laid down by the University Senate for the proper administration of graduate programs, and the welfare of students;
- Develops policies and guidelines and frameworks on curricula development process of graduate programs and, upon approval, ensure the implementation thereof by academic units;
- Plans, initiates, coordinates and assists the development of strategic plan for efficient management of existing and expansion graduate programs, and opening of new ones based on needs and on national priorities;
- Assembles data on graduate intake capacity and reconcile needs with capacities;
- Recommends ways of fostering the development of graduate programs in the University;
- Coordinate and facilitate the development of trans-and interdisciplinary graduate programs in consultation with the colleges, departments, schools and centers concerned;
- Collaborates and facilitate internal and external assistance for graduate programs and their research activities;
- Ensures standards set are met in graduate program development and implementation;
- Collects, processes, deploys and disseminates information and data on graduate academic programs;
- Monitors the management of graduate programs in colleges and forward recommendations;
The Graduate Programs Office is located in Administration Building, Block – 62, Room – 206.